Tuesday, July 15, 2008

work, places, people.

AHh lazy to blog.. especially if it's about work. Any work at any place is boring.. oh well..

This is the pharm*acy that I worked in for 2 weeks:

Inside the pharmacy:

Meds kept neatly inside the cabinet unlike other pharm*cies there.

Most of the meds there come in bottles which means that PILLS HAVE TO BE COUNTED. Thats what the PTs and pharmers do while packing. Even those strips that come in tens (like in sg) have to be taken out and filled into containers.

So now I've learnt to count pills fast and saw many many colourful capsules!! Too bad I can't take pics of them, baohui would be delighted to see them. haha

No. 1 new thing is: blister packing! (and free delivery which I obviously didn't get to do)

I think the blister packs are like the most thoughtful invention for those who dunno how to take their meds. Now i start to wonder how the old grannies in sg can remember to take their meds. They somehow can manage on their own or they have personal reminder persons. haha poor grannies in canada either live alone or in the nursing homes. Ang-mohs don't know what's fillial piety I guess. haha

Ok back to the blister packs. Each blister pack come in weekly packs with four pockets for each time of the day. (AM, Noon, PM, Bedtime) So doctor leaves the Rx at the pharmacy with tons of refills for the pharmer to pack. The meds are usually the same and the pharmer packs them inside the blister packs when the meds run out. Another thoughtful move by the pharmer there: He keeps track of which patient run out of meds and pack and deliver them when it's ready.

Here's a half done blister pack:
And then send it to the sealer to seal up the blister pack:

Standing from the counter, the OTCs are just below. It's kinda hard for the people outside to look inside that's why it's cool, I just take my time to count those pills.

There are very few OTCs as compared to those huge superstore pharm*acies. Most small pharm*acies do dispensing drugs. And they are always next to a medical clinic. Business there is quite quiet so I have alot of time to ask the pharmer qns.

No. 2 new thing at the pharm*acy: COMPOUNDING!!

Oh how nostalgic. I feel like I was back to the older days at the dispensing lab. But of course, there was no time limit and there was NO WEIGHING MACHINE.

OMG you know what the pharmer used? This:

Most of the compounding were creams so it was easy. I was relieved to hear that they don't do emulsions. Will not relive the nightmares from compounding class. haha yea so that machine up there is called a TORSION BALANCE. sounds familiar? It's an antique now, the pharmer got it when he opened his first store.

No.3 new thing: Labels!!

Woo i love kopping labels!! The labels there come in different colors and instructions. Maybe I should take a pic of them and ask who wants which one as sourvenir. haha

No. 4 new thing: THE reference book.

The pharmer there hardly refer to books but its mandatory to have some reference books at the store. So other than those familiar Dipiro, martindale, AHFS, this is the only book that he refered to:

I guess the reason why he didn't use any reference books was because he was very experienced and no patient would ask him chim questions. So basically he just packs and pass it on the patient. He hardly need to counsel becoz the patients have taken them before. haha slack huh.

Here's another reference book that I personally like. It's called the Natural Medicines database. Can be found online too. Basically monographs for natural meds. Found those glucosamine, chrondrontin, omega 3 & 6 that the pharmers in sg grilled us on. hoho
ok looks like the blister pack is done! Good thing this patient does take too many drugs. I saw one that has so many meds taken in the morning that it nearly didn't fit the morning pocket.

ok The Pharmer.

He's the boss and the only pharmer there. Because bizness there is quite quiet so he can pretty much manage it on his own. And he's old with more than 30 years of experience. Yea so he's quite good at working around with things. Learnt alot not from his knowledge but from his experience. He told me alot about practising there too. Makes me wonder if I could really practise there. haha oh well...

Next up: I shall talk about the more interesting portion of work there, The Patient.

Time to sleep. buai~