Had both ACC and AC this week. ACC was like a super eye-opener and once again lucky me got a super nice pharmer for ACC counselling. When you see the title of a pharmacist in sgh that has 4 words in it, it is none other than the big shots. Usually the image of the big ones would be straight-faced and demanding but surprisingly this pharmer at ACC was exactly the opposite. He listened attentively to the patients, probed and empathized with the patient's various situations even though it might not be related to drug counseling. Also, he was gentle and encouraging at all times during the whole counseling process. I think if i'm the patient I would also listen to him because he sounded so nice and encouraging.
Being nice to patients is one thing but being nice to students is another. I was even more surprised when he actually answered every single question of mine even though some can be found in textbooks. He expects me to keep asking him questions so eventually, I ran out of questions and ended up asking 1-2 stupid questions. hahaha and on the second day I was supposed to meet him to match Rx but I was 1hr late. Although he said that it doesn't matter, I apologized profusely because it was really bad of me to 对不起 such a good pharmer. Haiz. I wondered if I've missed anything out on for the second day. tskkk.
And then AC was this morning and I was attached to this senior pharmer while g.ying sat next to her preceptor in the other room. This pharmer is middle-aged and she can relate to old patients very well. She even engaged me into the counseling process too and it feels like all of us were talking like friends inside the couseling room. Another very encouraging and supportive pharmer, because she mentioned that patients do get afraid while demonstrating the inhaler techniques. All the patients didn't know how to speak english and that cost my notes to be filled with intermittent scribblings of chinese and english jumbled up together. haha but it was yet another eye-opener even though less cases were counseled as compared to ACC. And I finally saw everything inside the PT notes come into life at the practical setting. Identify triggers, the FEV, the red/orange/green action plan and the most important inhaler techniques.
really cool. and i was allowed to kop the turbuhaler placebo home to play with. *whistles*
another cool thing was at one momment the pharmer was speaking melayu to the maid and at the next momment she turned to the patient and spoke hokkien without even a split second for thought. After being there for 2 weeks, I realize that some pharmers have amazing language proficiency, both written and spoken. And I was thankful that I can still remember to write some chinese words for the patient. hahah today i forgot how to write 心脏 , so paiseh. haha.
and so in conclusion, I realize that pharmers are so important in these clinics!! And these clinics are good in the sense that patients can sit down and relax and listen patiently to the pharmer. and they also give chance for pharmers to prove their worth. yup very cool.
Blogged with the Flock Browser