Monday, July 28, 2008

the fast paced people.

Second day of work, I picked up more confidence and decided to take up compounding. The pharmacist Ian asked if i could make creams, I said yes and tada here I am simply mixing 2 creams together.

ectosone and hydrocortisone? can't remember.

Did Powder + Cream, Cream + Cream and lastly, Filling Creams in bottles in amazing speed. It was a wonderful experience, I wonder if we would be doing that for PP3.. haha

Something I learnt from there: PLO gel is a self-invented gel in Canada which is said to aid drug delivery through the transdermal system. As amazing as it sounds, the pharmer simply add diclofenac Na powder with the gel and POOF, it's as good as having Voltaren gel which is not available there. Sometimes the doc varies the dose of diclofenac Na for diff patients which makes the gel more personalized unlike Voltaren. haha

This one is the tricky gel which I was given but PT Danielle decides that she should do it instead. Firstly, she grabs the solidified gel and puts it into the fridge to return it to liquid state. Meanwhile she prepares the powder and waits....... Then she mixed liquified gel in and it became this:


PT Danielle was the one who talked to me the most and gave me the most help throughout the wekk. I could hear her shouting:" OmG, i feel like a guardian!" right after I left the pharmacy on the first day. Thereafter I decided to disturb someone else instead.

And then Ben the Pharmacist came on tuesday. He was the wacky fella, always pulling tricks on the others and bullying people for fun. Imagine a pharmacist who pastes stickers all over someone's back and accuses people of touching him for advantages. HAHA it was great fun to have him around. Eases the 'stress' around when the heat sets in.

Usually patients stream in one by one but there are times when many patients come at the same time. While there are always 3 pharmacist working there at any one time, only one would be free to dispense. The other 2 are either doing blister pack checking or handling phone calls. Hustle and Bustle is the way of life in the pharmacy, but there are always time for them to take a breather and relax, chit chat with each other. I realized that chit-chatting with patients is just another way of stress-relief over there, especially when the patients carry cute babies or dogs with them. haha

Talking about PR-ing with patients, I guess the old bird PT Debbie is the best PT I've ever seen. Nice and approachable, always showing concern for patients. And most importantly, her encouraging words were the nicest to hear. She always has good words for everyone around her and the way she handle phone calls were just EXPERIENCED. Lots of patience, kind words and GOOD TEMPER. she could survive after numerous attacks from Ben the Bully. hahaha and here's a quote from her which I couldn't help nodding my head:
You can only help someone who wants to help herself.

And there were the 2 Melissas. Melissa G is the new girl who is in charge of deliveries so I hardly see her around in the afternoons. She's quite pretty and very friendly as well, probably that's why she doing the deliveries. Still remembered that she said that she loved my packed lunch that day and she was the only one who wished me good luck when it was my last day. The other Melissa looks rather intellectual and quiet so I hardly talk to her. But I always hear her gossiping with Danielle while doing blister packs. hahah

And the 3 other Pharmacists, Brian, Ian and Lan. Brian is the only Caucasian pharmer there and the only interesting thing about him is: he used to be the boss's mentor and he just had triplet baby boys! The triplets were made up of 2 identical ones and the other is non-identical. It was easy to tell becoz 2 had brown eyes and the other one had green eyes.. All of them are REALLY CUTE.

Then Lan. Vietnamese pharmer who is ultra experienced and best at making comments about practising in canada. All the interesting stories and behaviors of people at the pharmacy were at one time or another commented by him. He is rather slow though but for his age it is acceptable. He also cracked lame jokes with the patients and I think it can only happen in Canada. On the last day, I helped him a great lot and he kept asking why I was leaving so early. haha An interesting pharmer.

Second last, Ian. He's chinese who know how to speak Mandarin and Cantonese. Hardly anyone there can speak both languages and I was quite glad that I'm one of the few over there. haha anyways he was really helpful and he told me many things about practising in canada. He ended the topic saying that Boss Kenny could hire me if I were to come back. Left me very tempted to stay there, but there are still many things to consider..

Lastly, the Boss Pharmer Kenny. A very ambitious man who owns the pharmacy as well as 2 other pharmacies elsewhere. Does deliveries and solves any problem that arises in the pharmacy. Capable and enjoys a good sense of humor. He was always busy with many problems to fix but he tries to set aside some time to talk to me in the morning amidst dispensing and having his breakfast. Looking at how he works is enough to inspire me to work harder. He's faster than any energizer bunny. and he just keeps going and pushing himself harder. Truly an admirable person.

OK so i'm done with my fellow colleagues at the pharmacy. It's really a busy place there, with 3 pharmers, one cashier, 4PTs downstairs and 2 upstairs. But the crowd made the place a lively and cheerful environment to work in. I guess they will probably DIE if they were to work in sg. haha